Parcel Properties Manager | Autodesk Civil 3D 2021 - Survey Tools

     Our Consulting and Services Manager, Shawn Herring, wrote an article for last month's issue of AUGI World. Below is a portion of the article:


Well, since this is the Salary Survey edition of the magazine, I thought it was fitting to review some “survey” tools! After all, most projects begin and end with survey, but I feel like it often gets overlooked in Civil 3D. 

GIS Data is also key to most civil projects. What does GIS stand for? GET IT SURVEYED! Just kidding. 

That joke goes over much better with the survey audience. But I love working with GIS data on all my projects as well. I typically do not begin a project without using some sort of GIS data in addition to the survey data. 

So here is some survey related tools I use on almost every project.




Parcel Properties Manager

            Have you ever used this before? Well neither have I until just a couple weeks ago.  This is a pretty quick way to globally change parcel styles and area label styles, without going in 1 by 1.  You can also add info to the description of each individual parcel.  I use the description field a lot in plat, whether for addresses, tax ID numbers or simple notes.

 

In addition, you can also export a list of parcels to a CSV file for use in other applications, such as other GIS platforms. The list can also be used as the basis of AutoCAD tables and text objects within the drawing.

 

This tool can be found under the Miscellaneous Tools on the Toolbox.  Give it a shot and see what you think!

 

Conclusion

Yes, I’ve skipped the obvious “Field to Finish” workflows for now.  By now people have decided whether they want to use that or not, so I focused on a few other tools that help me in day to day project workflows.  In an upcoming article I will detail the setup and workflows needed to perform the automated linework, or Field to Finish options.

 


We would love to hear from you regarding the survey tools you use and any tips or trick you have, as well as feature requests for survey. Feel free to leave a comment below!

Want to learn more about Civil 3D Survey Tools? Click here.


Comments